Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Tuesday night RAW

Sushi Bar Zipang
1010 1 Ave NE

Went to Zipang for some sushi before frisbee on Tuesday. This is one of my favorite sushi restaurants, it's a little more expensive but the sushi is always fresh. Reservations are encouraged for groups since they fill up pretty fast. Got my usual items. Sake, amaebi (raw prawn), tako and hotategai. They didn't have any fresh toro today so I got some regular tuna. Zipang, Sukiyaki House and Wa's are the only places I've been to that serves the giant raw prawns. If your stomach can take it, I highly recommend it. It's a million times better than the steamed variety. It's unbelievably sweet and delicious. You can also have the head deep fried after and eat the shell and gooey stuff in the head too! Nice! I'm pretty sure I just grossed out everyone but don't hate till you try it!



I also got the Zaru Soba. Zaru soba is buckwheat noodles topped with shredded nori seaweed served chilled with a delicious sweet dipping sauce called soba tsuyu. Wasabi, scallions and grated daikon radish are mixed in with the tsuyu and the noodles are dipped into the sauce. Wa's also has a quail egg that you can mix into the sauce. A perfect dish for a sunny and hot day; unfortunately for me, Tuesday was rainy and cold. You can also get a side of tempura which I did not. I think soba is better served cold but other's disagree. You can be the judge of that.




Sushi Bar Zipang on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment