Saturday, June 26, 2010

Okono-what?

Sushi Kawa
2204 4 St SW

Sushi Kawa is the only Japanese restaurant in Calgary that I've been to that serves the Okonomiyaki. There could be others but I haven't hit them up yet. Shout out in the comment box below if you know of others! Okonomiyaki is a Japanese style pancake made from flour, shredded cabbage and eggs mixed with various toppings and grilled in a pan or teppan. I had the seafood okonomiyaki on Thursday. The batter is mixed with octopus, squid, shrimp, pickled ginger and topped with okonomiyaki sauce, katsuobushi and aonori. This thing was pretty massive. I was done after half of it. Definitely needed an eating buddy for this one. The okonomiyaki sauce is very thick and sweet. The octopus was pretty chewy, more so than the sushi/sashimi variety. It was very delicious but way too big.

One important note to mention about the okonomiyaki, it take them approximately 45 minutes to make it. I ordered mine ahead of time to cut down the wait. Win!



Sushi Kawa Japanese Restaurant on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. It's weird. I came to restaurant and the owner said they don't have it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? A little part of me just died inside. That's the only place that I've been to that serves it! This is a sad day indeed... : (

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is an amazing place that also serves it. It's called Ichirock.

    ReplyDelete