Sunday, January 9, 2011

Where Dem Focaccia At?

CHARCUT Roast House
899 Centre St S

Yet another post on CHARCUT. Click here, here and here for previous "reviews". Everyone knows by now there're two things I love about CHARCUT: 


     1. Raggedy towel
     2. Memory Foam Focaccia Bread


However, this time around, I decided to not get the lunch all at once (It was the tuna melt again). Or a sandwich for that matter. I know some of you are like WHHHHAAAATT?!?!?! But how can you enjoy the spongy focaccia bread if you don't order a sandwich? 

Well... I didn't. Don't remind me.

What I did order was the grilled Spring Creek steak salad, which was just as great. Medium rare-ish done steak overlaid a bed of arugula leaves with a buttercream vinaigrette. It is then finished with a very generous sprinkle of crispy fried onions. The steak was so so so so tender. The arugula was young and therefore not super bitter. The more mature it gets, the more bitter it becomes. Slivers of pickled peppers were hidden within the greens providing some surprising flavours. I was a little skeptical about the buttercream dressing at first but it turned out to be really light and didn't taste like a blob of wedding cake on my salad. So tasty. Portions were decent. Definitely not as filling as the lunch all at once but still great nonetheless. 




Chris and David got the country sausage. It was an interesting presentation... But apparently if you look past that and give it a try, it was pretty good. You know the old saying Don't judge a book by its cover? Similar deal. Don't judge a sausage by its girth and length. 




Also, special belated birthday shout out to Sheryl! Happy belated birthday! Wooot!


Once again, my arbitrary rankings:
Atmosphere: 8 out of 10. We sat at the bar table this time. The table was super high. Natalie needed a stepping stool to get up.
Food: 9 out of 10. My steak salad was delicious but I was sad that I didn't have any focaccia bread. Can't win them all I guess. 
Presentation: 7 out of 10. Fairly standard presentation. Maybe except the country sausages.
Price: 8 out of 10. Decently priced. Lunch all at once is definitely the better deal.
Overall: 9 out of 10. If you haven't been to CHARCUT yet, check it out. It's great. If you're not a follower. Click on the "follow" button on the right. Just sayin'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment