Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Century Club

Blink Restaurant & Bar
111 8 Ave SW
Post number 100! Hooray! To celebrate this "significant" milestone, I went out with one of my followers, Megan, for lunch last Friday. There was suppose to be more people but they all ditched. Awww... : ( But Megan's a trooper and still showed up. And that's why she's my favourite follower!
We, more like I, decided to check out Blink. It's been on my wishlist for a while now and it's about time I crossed it off. Located on Stephen Avenue, Blink was a recent winner of the people's choice award for best restaurant in Calgary by Avenue magazine. You don't win the people's choice award by sucking. And they did not disappoint.

Upon arriving, I was quickly seated at a table near the middle-ish part of the restaurant. Megan arrived shortly after. We browsed the menu as our server prepared our drink order - two glasses of still water. We're definitely going all out for this one! Just kidding. I ordered the slow cooked crispy duck. We nibbled on the complimentary bread as our food was prepared. A single right thigh arrived served over a red cabbage and raisin salad and hash browns. Marinated and slow cooked to perfection, the meat was so insanely tender and succulent and separated from the bone effortlessly. It was not at all fatty. My only complaint was that it was not very crispy... The hash browns were crispier. But I'm willing to overlook that given the tenderness of the meat. 


I recently got the new iPhone (Telus sucks, just throwing it out there) and this is the first photo, the picture is a little (Read: Extremely) fuzzy because of the low light and the colour and sharpness had to be adjusted. Still working out all the kinks. If someone has tips on how to mitigate this problem, give me a shout in the comments below or send me an email. The scores -

Atmosphere: 8 out of 10. Exposed brick work with modern furnishings gives it a contemporary yet rustic feel.
Food: 8 out of 10. The duck was really good. Very tender. 
Presentation: 8 out of 10. Despite what the picture depicts, the presentation was not too shabby.
Price: 7 out of 10. Not exactly cheap but well worth it. 
Service: 7 out of 10. Decent service.
Overall: 8 out of 10. Excellent overall. I wish I had more time to order a few more dishes but I had to get back to work.

Blink Restaurant & Bar on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment