Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Parking Lot Shack

Smokee Lee's
500 - 6 Ave SW

After hitting up all those $$$$ restaurants the last couple of weeks, I decided to check out some of the hole in the walls this fair city has to offer. Smokee Lee's, located at the intersection of 6th avenue and 4th Street SW, is not quite a hole in the wall. But mostly because there are no walls nearby. It's a shack on a parking lot. See below. On a beautiful summer day, you will see a line that stretches to the sidewalk.



I had the 7 ounce piled high on rye. Sandwiched between two slices of winnipeg rye is steamed montreal smoked meat. The meat was pretty fatty, yet stringy at the same time. Wrapped with aluminum foil, the bread was a little soggy by the time I got back to the office (a solid 10 minute walk) from the heat and condensation trapped within. Totally understandable. It would have been much better had I eaten at the picnic tables there. Very flavourful though. Sides include a quarter pickle and 5 chips of the plain variety. Now that I think about it, this probably is not as cheap as I thought... $10 for a sandwich?! Considering they are situated in a shack on a parking lot, I bet they are making a killing on this. It's pure genius I tell you! 6 stars out of 10.



I would like to end this entry with the following picture. Note "The Searsy!". The battle cry is likely followed by a triple bypass.



Smokee Lee's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment