Tuesday, March 1, 2011

No Chicken

Teatro
200 8 Ave SE
www.teatro.ca


Celebrating the February birthdays at the office, we headed out to Teatro for lunch. Browsing through the menu, we quickly realized the cheap(er) deals we enjoyed last summer were gone (Click here and here for previous reviews). I guess it's a sign that the economy has officially recovered as I can no longer get half of a rotisserie chicken for $15 at Teatro. Not that I ever had a chance as there was never enough supply to meet the demand. But now I have to pay the full price of $16. Outrageous (Just kidding)! 


There were four plump chicken sitting over the rotisserie when we first arrived. The skin golden brown in colour. That number went down to three before we even ordered. Could this be the day? The day where David finally gets his Teatro rotisserie chicken? Natalie and Ryan both ordered the chicken before me. As the waiter approached me, I took a quick glance at the rotisserie. Still three left! He asked me what I wanted and I replied 'the gnocchi.' WHAT? Did you just dedicate a paragraph and a half talking about their chicken and then not get it?!


Yeah I did. I couldn't bear the disappointment of being rejected again. Plus the gnocchi sounded amazing (it was). 




Little gnocchi dumplings lined the bottom of a oversized sparkly white plate. Cooked with a spicy tomato purée, the gnocchi is topped with some additional crushed tomatoes, arugula leaves and grilled chorizo. This plate of deliciousness is then finished off with a generous sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan cheese. The good stuff (parmigiano-reggiano). Not the kraft shaker bottle variety. The spicy dish brought warmth and comfort in a week that featured a high of -20 something. Too bad there wasn't a +15 to the local coffee shop and back to office. Can't win them all I guess.


Some numbers after the rant - 


Atmosphere: 8 out of 10. Beautiful decor featuring some interesting works of art. Definitely check out the eagle sculpture composed of hands (not real hands) by the bar, it looks so crazy. 
Food: 8 out of 10. Amazing food.
Presentation: 8 out of 10. Nice presentation.
Price: 7 out of 10. Not exactly cheap stuff. But you get what you pay for. Jordan and Russ were concerned I was gonna get the lobster cannelloni and kindly preordered a bowl of hot water soup with saline crackers for me. Unfortunately, they serve no such thing and I ended up getting the gnocchi.
Service: 7.5 out of 10. Good service. Bread basket was continuously topped up with delicious bread. 
Overall: 8 out of 10. Decent overall. I feel that I'm overhyping the rotisserie chicken a little bit. Maybe someone who's had it leave a comment below on what they thought. Anything short of spectacular would be a disappointment for me at this point.


Also, I do realize gnocchi is not really a pasta. But I'm not sure what else to classify it as. So pasta it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment