Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Oh?

O Restaurant and Lounge
2018 33 Ave SW
Weekend lunch with my mom. I was jonesing for some tasty sashimi the whole week and figured I could get some from my favorite Japanese restaurant on Saturday. Unfortunately for me, my paranoid mother will not have any of that. Somehow all the fish in the world have been contaminated with radioactive green gobbly goop. And if you so much as look at it, you will grow a third arm on the side of your head. So instead we decided to check out O Restaurant and Lounge over in Marda Loop. The restaurant was quiet when we arrived shortly after noon, a couple of occupied tables here and there. We were quickly seated by the window and presented with the two page menu. 
Nothing peaked my interest as I leafed through the menu. I was secretly hoping there would be a sashimi section on the back. No dice. Because I need to satisfy my cravings, I ordered the fish and chips. No - Halibut and chips. It sounded pretty fancy. It's got nothing on Saint Germain's description of their "Frites et Poisson" during Dineout Calgary 2010 though; kronenbourg battered gougettes of cod, frites and orly sauce. What the hell is a gougette?!? Stop making up words. Anyway. Halibut and chips at O was decent. The batter was crispy, the meat was firm and fresh-ish. Hard to tell since it was deep fried to the max. Can't say the same for the fries though. A little inconsistent. A couple of crispy ones here. A couple of soggy ones there. But unfortunately for O, there was definitely more soggy than crispy fries in my bowl. My halibut and chips also came with a side of leafy greens. Nothing too fancy. Decent overall. 

Also, because my mother is a hypocrite, she ordered the salmon fettucini. Because, FACT: thoroughly cooking one's food removes harmful radiation.
No it doesn't. I just made that up. Here's what I though of it.
Atmosphere: 6 out of 10. It's an interesting setup. It's kinda like a quasi-resto-lounge type deal. Liquor wall in the back followed by a continuous row of vacant bar tables, which is then followed by some regular tables with small children running around like it's a daycare. Trendy looking decor though. 
Food: 6 out of 10. Nothing to write home about. Decent portions.
Presentation: 5 out of 10. Not the cleanest cutlery. Crusty water spots everywhere. Almost rivals that of grungy Chinese dim sum restaurants. Food presentation was decent. 
Price: 6 out of 10. Average pricing. Leaning to the high side.
Service: 7 out of 10. Slightly above average service. Could have been better given the number of patrons there. 
Overall: 6 out of 10. O for okay.

O Restaurant and Lounge on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment