Saturday, November 6, 2010

Imagine...

Manuel Latruwe Belgian Patisserie & Bread Shop
1333 1 St SE
Having left slightly disappointed last time because some hungry tourists stole my delicious quiche, I returned last week to recover what is rightfully mine. Sort of. I ended up getting a different one. Spinach and bacon. The cashier asked if it was to stay or to go. I should have said to stay and let them throw it in the oven for me. Unfortunately, I left my camera at the office and had to get it to go. The cashier then proceeded to provide oven baking instructions. I inquired about microwaving instructions. A look of disgust flashed across her face. "5 minutes" she said. I thanked her and quickly left before further embarrassing myself. 
Back at the office, I set the quiche on 3 or 4 layers of Bounty paper towels and placed it in the microwave. Set the timer to 5 minutes and went back to my desk to avoid any awkward conversations. I'm sure some of the more environmentally conscious folks at the office probably had a heart attack (or two) when they saw me unroll so many squares of paper towel in the kitchen and was ready to give me a stern talk on environmental conservation.
With an eye on the microwave from my desk to make sure no one tries to steal my quiche (again), I brought it back to my work station when it was hot and ready to eat. An fresh aroma of pastry and bacon filled the air as I opened the door. I grabbed some additional squares of paper towel to avoid leaving greasy stains on my desk. Despite having to heat it up in the microwave, the crust was still crispy and very flaky. Loaded up with plenty of bacon and spinach, the filling was very flavourful. I can't even imagine how much more amazing it would have been had I cooked it in an oven. Or eaten it fresh. I should stop though because I'm drooling uncontrollably over my keyboard. Sparks are flying. I just got this thing. 7.5 stars out of 10. Gotta put in some overtime now to pay it off. : (


No comments:

Post a Comment