Sunday, November 7, 2010

Hold the Salt


Sugo Caffe Italia
1214 9 Ave SE
Sugo has been on my little wish list for the longest time. I was finally able to check it out last week. Hurray! Check that sucker off. Located in the historic community of Inglewood, Sugo prepares their meals from the finest and freshest local ingredients available. As dishes are made to order, there is a minor wait. Rather than twiddling your thumbs as your meal is prepared, take the opportunity to check out the unique decor. Fancy chandeliers, giant abstract paintings and decorative skateboards decks are just some of the neat things you will find between the dining room and lounge space. It's a potpourri of traditional and new school decor.






I ordered the chicken breast milanese with sauteed mushrooms. Milanese is a style of Italian cooking where the meat (or whatever your little heart desires) is coated with flour or bread crumbs and cooked in hot oil or butter. The chicken was really good. The meat was tender and very flavourful. It is laid over a bed of sauteed mushrooms and topped with diced tomatoes and lettuce. Everything was really good. Except the frisée (The curly things sandwiching the chicken). Typically they are really bitter. Not today. I don't know if it was the dressing or something but they were so salty that they weren't even bitter anymore. It was almost as if I shovelled a box of salt into my mouth. I felt so dehydrated after. Chugging down my ice tea and water.  
Aside from the frisée let down (Pretty sure I exceeded the recommended sodium intake for the next week or so). Everything else was done really well. I will have to give it a try another time. 6.5 stars out of 10.



Sugo Caffe Italia on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Oh, it was like that when I went to Sugo too. Had the gnocchi, all I tasted was salt and spicy.

    ReplyDelete