Tuesday, September 28, 2010

WAAH!

Wa's Japanese Restaurant
1721 Centre St N
wascalgary.exblog.jp

I did a little blurb on Wa's a while back (You can check it out
here). I've been back many times since then and they have yet to disappoint (Thumbs up to the cold ramen I decided to not write about). I've been sitting on this review for a while now wondering how I should do it... Should I update the current post? Or start a new one? I decided to go with the latter (Obviously). Thoughts? Shout out in the comments below.

So anyway, we ordered our typical sashimi plus a couple of the daily specials. I think it was the young yellowtail and horse mackerel or something. I tried googling what a horse mackerel is but couldn't come up with anything. From what I can gather, it's kind of like a large tuna or something. What I can tell you is that it was very tasty. We also got some temaki (hand cones).

In addition to the sashimi, we got the deep fried beef skewers. Apparently it's a new item that they introduced that day. I hope they keep it because it was delicious. Chunks of super tender beef and onions are speared with a giant wooden cocktail stick, lathered in batter and deep fried to the max. A sauce is poured over with sesame seeds sprinkled on top. Delish!



We ordered an extra agedashi tofu because I was feeling hungry. Most places serve it with some grated ginger and daikon and topped with chopped scallions. Not Wa's. Nooo... The bowl of goodness arrived with 4 crispy tofu loaded up with katsuobushi, wakame, scallions, grated ginger and daikon. There's also these other lettuce looking seaweed things but I'm not sure what they are called... They didn't have a heavy oceanic taste to it. Kind of light. A seaweed texture but not like slimy or anything. Not going to lie, it was amazing.



10 stars out of 10. This score might be a little biased because it's one of my favourite restaurants. But it was really good (which is why it's my fav) sooo... yeah. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment