Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fatherly Advice

The Main Dish
903 General Ave NE
Met up with my friend Joel last weekend for another man date... I mean business meeting. Joel was giving me some recommendations on cool things to see and do while in Sydney, Australia. I am going for a week in the beginning of May and spending another week in Hong Kong. It’s gonna be sweet! I’m so excited! Hopefully, I will be adding a few more entries to my Other List. My apologies for the lack of posts in the month of April, I’ve been trying to save up some extra money for my trip. 
So anyway, we stopped by The Main Dish. Located in the community of Bridgeland, the Main Dish offer a wide variety of soups, salads, sandwiches and various hot meals to choose from. Orders are placed at their respective stations and paid at the front. The food is brought out to you when it’s hot and ready. I ordered the sesame seed crusted tuna while Joel got the pesto chicken. The size of the tuna filet was quite impressive. I bet you could feed a family of stray cats for a week with it. Set over a bed of quinoa and edamame salad and stocks of asparagus (because I need to meet my veggie quota for the day), the tuna was slightly overdone but decent overall. This marks the first time that I’ve had fully cooked tuna (aside from the canned stuff). I think I like it better raw. Or lightly seared on the outside. So what does it taste like? Think low sodium Clover Leaf tuna. But in steak form. And someone dropped a box of sesame seeds all over it. The compote was a nice touch. Flavour explosion all around.

Because I ninjaed the last tuna steak from Joel while he was debating what he was going to get, I offered to trade him half of my tuna for half of his pesto chicken. And I must say that the chicken was much better. The meat was tender and very flavourful. It came with a choice of soup or salad. Which he did not share. : (

After giving my stomach some time to digest my meal, we ordered some desert. I had the berry crumble. It was ok. Unlike revenge, I think berry crumbles would be best served hot. Or at least lukewarm. 

Atmosphere: 6.5 out of 10. Nice setting. Tables are set up around the perimeter of the store. 
Food: 6.5 out of 10. Food was decent. 
Presentation: 8 out of 10. Surprisingly nice presentation. Definitely not thrown together.
Price: 7 out of 10. Good price.
Service: 9 out of 10. Really friendly staff. We were just sitting there for over half an hour after they closed and they didn’t even kick us out. My apologies for that.
Overall: 7 out of 10. Free parking on the road behind the condos. Or you can pay for parking out front like a total boss. Takeout is also available for the antisocial folks out there.

The Main Dish on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment